3 Simple But Interesting STEM Activities For Kids
In today’s education system, it is quite important to involve kids in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Maths) learning activities from their foundational years. Most of the STEM activities take less than an hour and are ideal for keeping children’s attention intact. Though in most of the preschools and Child Care San Dimas CA teachers are introducing STEM activities as fun learning engagements, you can do some similar activities at home as well.
Some Simple and Fun STEM Activity Parents Can Do with Their Kids :
Here you can find certain STEM activities that are easy to do and do not require any rare materials. Just have a look at the activities and start spending fun time with your kids.
Geometry with Marshmallows and Pretzels : You can do this activity to introduce 2D shapes and their properties to your child.
- Mini marshmallows
- Card paper
- Pen or marker
- Draw a few shapes on the paper and you can write the side or leave space for your child to write their names after guessing the name.
- Break the pretzels sticks and ask your child to place them on each side of the shape and connect the vertices with marshmallows.
- Teach them the name of the shapes and explain the concept of sides and vertices with the help of pretzels and marshmallows.
Reflection Art : In San Dimas, CA preschools teachers do this activity with their students to introduce the concept of multiplication, angles, symmetry, and geometry.
- Card paper
- Draw a triangle and use markers to decorate the inside with various geometrical shapes or patterns.
- Now give each child a mirror and instruct them to place it on each side of the triangle. As they do it, they can see reflection appears.
- As they see the reflection, you can explain the concepts of reflection and symmetry.
Painted Coasters Math Craft : In Day Care centers kids do this activity with their caregivers. The subsequent result of this activity can be a wonderful gift and also a perfect way to connect math with art. With some coasters and paint, you can provide your kids with the opportunity to take pride in their creation.
- Round cork coasters
- Painters tape
- Paint of different colors
- Lay out old newspapers on the table and place the coasters over them.
- Now use the tape to create some geometric shapes and patterns on the coasters.
- Here you can talk to your child about the shapes, angles, and sides.
- Paint each shape with different colors and let them dry properly.
- Remove the tape carefully to unveil the beautiful artwork.
STEM activities are an awesome e way to get kids involved in different entertaining learning engagements. Learning happens in a fun way and various concepts are sealed in children’s ever curious minds. You can pick up anyone from these activities to make your family time more fun and exciting.